The Pacific Northwest Regional Economic Conference is a non-profit organization that was established in 1966 to promote research and education on the economy of the Pacific Northwest states and Western Canada. The goals of PNREC are:
The PNREC Board of Directors is comprised of economists and regional analysts from the states of Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, and the provinces of British Columbia and Alberta (with occasional participation from Alaska and northern California). They represent a cross section of professionals from academia, business, government, and consulting organizations in both countries.
- To present a program of professional papers, panels and symposiums that relate to current and forecast economic conditions and trends, structural changes in the economy, formulation of public policy, and the ties that bind this region to others.
- To create an occasion for distinguished economists and policy analysts from elsewhere to visit the Pacific Northwest and to play a featured role at the conference.
- To provide a forum for academic, business, and government economists and other regional analysts to meet and interact professionally.
- To introduce and share current regional economic research with students, business and community leaders.
Readers of this history of PNREC will recognize that it shares many of the same issues and challenges as the National and Canadian Associations for Business Economics (NABE and CABE) and the regional/provincial associations across the country, and the economics profession itself.
|The history of PNREC | Current and future challenges for PNREC
The final program for PNREC 2019 has been issued and be accessed below. It's an exciting slate of speakers covering a broad set of economic issues affecting the Pacific Northwest. We hope to see you in Seaside May 21-23.
> DOWNLOAD PROGRAM
Training Session Added to PNREC 2019
We are pleased to announce that at PNREC 2019 we will be offering a series of training sessions at no additional cost to conference participants on May 21st ($75 cost for attendees who do not register for PNREC.
> DOWNLOAD FLYER
2019 Preliminary Program Now Available
The preliminary program for the 2019 Pacific Northwest Regional Economic Conference (PNREC) is now available! We are expecting more than 70 speakers with a diverse set of presentations organized around numerous topics relevant to the Pacific Northwest. Session titles include:
As always, the conference will wrap up with the Regional Outlook where economists from states throughout the Pacific Northwest and Canada present economic forecasts. This year, we expect state and provincial forecasts to be presented for Alberta, British Columbia, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming,
- Housing and Homelessness in the Northwest: Policy Options and Evaluation
- Coastal Workforce Challenges
- Applications of Economic Impact Analysis in the Pacific Northwest
- Modeling a Shifting Economy in the Pacific Northwest
- Economic Impacts of Alcohol, Cannabis and Substance Abuse
- Natural Resource Valuation
- Residential and Commercial Buildings: Measuring Financial and Environmental Performance
- Energy Storage Valuation and Analytics: Lessons, Methods and Models Resulting from Recent Experience at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Applied Methodologies in Ecological Economics
- Pacific Northwest Tax Policy Issues
- Economics of Morality: Economic Impacts of Illicit Crime and Social Responsibility in Consumer Behavior
- Economy and Industry Performance Measures
- Minimum Wage Policies and Income Trends in the Pacific Northwest
- Economic Opportunity and Poverty in the Pacific Northwest
- Building and Preserving Rural Economies
> 2019 PROGRAM
2019 Call for Papers / Abstracts
The deadline for panel / paper / poster submission has been extended from February 22 to Friday, March 8, 2019. A preliminary program will be announced no later than Friday, March 22, 2019.
> DOWNLOAD CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
SAVE THE DATE
Join us in Seaside, Oregon from May 21 to 23, 2019 for what promises to be a compelling line-up of speakers, panels, paper presentations, and poster sessions on the outlook, challenges, and opportunities across sectors, cities, and towns in the Pacific Northwest. PNREC 2019 will convene at the Seaside Civic and Convention Center. A range of hotel and other lodging options will be available at special conference rates, with links to registration information posted here later in 2018.
FINAL 2018 Program Now Available
The final program for PNREC 2018 is now available. We hope to see you in Tacoma!
> DOWNLOAD FINAL PROGRAM
2018 Location Announced
The 52nd annual Pacific Northwest Regional Economics Conference will be held at Hotel Murano in downtown Tacoma, May 22-24, 2018. The boutique hotel features a world-class art collection, including glass art from around the globe. Hotel Murano is situated in the city center, just a short walk from the Tacoma Art Museum, the Museum of Glass, The Chihuly Bridge of Glass, and the Washington State History Museum, and only 10 minutes to the LeMay Car Museum by light rail. Tacoma boasts a vibrant and walkable downtown, with no shortage of restaurants, culture and history. Come join us! More information at http://www.traveltacoma.com/regions/tacoma/